CITY OF PERRY
STATE OF MICHIGAN
Authorizing Golf Carts on City Streets
At a session of the City Council of the City of Perry, Shiawassee County, Michigan, held at the City Hall in said City on the 21st day of July, 2022.
Motion by Steve Wallace.
Seconded by Chad Fuller.
WHEREAS, Public Act 491 of 2014 amended Public Act 300 of 1949, commonly known as the Michigan Vehicle Code, being MCL 257.1 through MCL 257.923; and,
WHEREAS, Public Act 491 of 2014 created a new section to the Michigan Vehicle Code which allows for the limited and regulated use of Golf Carts on public streets which is found at MCL 257.657a; and,
WHEREAS, under the amended Michigan Vehicle Code, local units of government may allow for the limited and regulated use of Golf Carts on their streets under the terms and conditions specified in MCL 257.657a via the adoption of a Resolution; and,
WHEREAS, the City of Perry desires to allow for the limited use of Golf Carts on its streets as permitted and regulated by MCL 257.657a.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that under the conditions contained in Michigan Vehicle Code, as amended, being MCL 257.657a, the City of Perry does hereby allow for the use of Golf Carts on the streets of the City of Perry which conform to the requirements of Public Act 491 of 2014; and,
THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that as provided in MCL 257.657a the following is a non-exhaustive list of terms and conditions required for the use of golf carts in the City of Perry:
- Must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver’s license
- Must comply with signal requirements
- Must ride as near to the right side of roadway as possible
- Is NOT required to wear a helmet
Golf Cart Regulations-
- Shall not be operated on sidewalks
- May not pass between lines of traffic
- May travel at a maximum speed of 15 MPH
- May not be operated between ½ hour before sunset to ½ hour after sunrise
- Only permitted to operate on streets that are 30 MPH or less
- May not operate on M-52 (except to cross when safe to do so)
- May not be used to tow or pull any vehicle or device (i.e., sled, cart, etc.)
THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, the City of Perry reserves the right to
rescind this approval if in the future it is determined that the limited and regulated use of Golf Carts on the City’s streets has become a safety hazard or is deemed to be a nuisance.
Resolution declared adopted.
I hereby certify that the above is a true and correct copy of a Resolution adopted by the Perry City Council at a meeting held on the 21st day of July, 2022.
Devin Miller, Perry City Clerk
Posted: July 22, 2022