City of Perry

Ordinance Enforcement Officer


Ron Korzecke

Phone: (517) 819-1626
Fax: (517) 625-6157

About the Ordinance Enforcement Officer

The Ordinance Enforcement Officer (OEO) responsibilities include conducting on-site inspections throughout the City to determine compliance with the City’s zoning and codified ordinances. The OEO investigates potential violations, follows established procedures of consequences and non-compliance. The OEO maintains related records, and performs other related duties.

Zoning Administrator


Leland Scott

Phone: (517) 625-7826
Fax: (517) 625-6157

Helpful Links

Leland “Chief” Scott is available at the ring of a phone to assist you in meeting requirements of the City of Perry Zoning Ordinances.

His belief is that we work together to protect the atmosphere of our community by living within necessary ordinances that assure you and your neighbors that all new and remodel construction is not offensive or hazardous to others.

As, Zoning Administrator, Leland’s goal is to answer your questions concerning the application of permits required for any construction within the City of Perry.

“Chief ” Scott and his recently deceased wife, Carol, have lived in Perry since he retired from the U.S. Navy in 1975. They have four grown children, seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Conceptual Review Meetings

Conceptual review meetings offer a chance for early, informal review of proposed projects. These meetings are available free of charge and are intended to promote a smooth approval process once formal applications are submitted.

While optional, you are strongly encouraged to schedule a preliminary design or conceptual review meeting with the Zoning Administrator.  Contact city hall to schedule a meeting – (517) 625-6155.

Building Inspector


Rob Kehoe

Address: 203 W. Polly Street
Phone: (810) 516-1191
Fax: (517) 625-6157

Rob is in his Perry Office 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. Monday and Wednesday.

In addition to the City of Perry, Rob serves as Building Inspector for multiple communities in Genesee, Saginaw and Shiawassee counties. Rob and his wife, Jeanette, who reside in Flushing, have two children.  For more information, Visit Rob’s Website:

Notes from the Building Inspector

In May 2003, Perry City Council approved Ordinance No. 269 transferring authority of the City’s Building Inspection responsibilities from the Shiawassee County Building Department to the City of Perry Building Department.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a permit required?

Permits are required when there is new construction to a building as well as some repair work or alteration to an existing structure. In addition, when a building is to be remodeled or enlarged, a permit shall be required. New work consists of any new construction, commercial or residential, from vacant ground to completed new structure.


Projects that are cosmetic, such as new wallpaper, carpet, paint, cabinets or trim work, do not require a permit. Please contact the Building Inspections Department for any questions concerning your specific project.

Does a building permit cover electrical/plumbing and mechanical work?

No. Each permit is a separate action. Since each project is unique, please call our office to determine what permits may be necessary for your project.

How long does the review process take on a residential project?

Garages, pools, decks, additions, etc. are usually done while you wait if you have all of the necessary paper work. A new house takes about one to two days.

How long does the review process take on commercial/industrial projects?

New projects/ multi-family/parking lots or new additions vary depending on factors such as complex design, size, completeness of design documents, other agency approval, etc. Please contact us with specific questions.

When do you need a site plan approval through the Planning Department or Planning Commission?

Site plan review is required for any proposed development except single family housing. Contact the Planning Department at City Hall.

What construction can begin on a building before issuance of a building permit?

Site grading can occur prior to receipt of a building permit, however, if the grading area is over one acre in size or within 500′ of a stream, lake, wetland, etc. a soil erosion permit may be required from  Shiawassee County.

Do I need a building permit for siding, roofing, and window replacement?

In Perry yes, you do need a permit for this.

Is a building permit required for a swimming pool or hot tub?

Building and electrical permit may be required. A zoning permit is required.

Is a building permit required to finish part of my basement?

Yes, enclosing areas in your basement can affect the safe operation of your existing mechanical equipment such as the furnace and home water heater as well as affecting light and ventilation requirements. Creating sleeping room also requires at least one emergency exit egress window in each room. Electrical permits may be required too.

Is a building permit required to build an exterior deck?

Yes, the deck must meet code requirements in order to support loads from people, equipment, accessories, etc. Many home improvements stores/lumber yards will provide you with computer software designed construction documents that often can be submitted along with a permit application and site plan.

Be sure to advise the deck designer and note on plans if you intend to have unusually heavy accessories on a deck such as a hot tub. They can design the deck to support additional loads.

Is a permit required for a new furnace, central air unit, hot water heater, pre-manufactured fireplace, wood stove, gas log fireplace, wall heater, etc.?

Yes, a mechanical permit is required. It can be issued to a licensed mechanical contractor or homeowner.

Is a permit required for an electrical service panel upgrade?

Yes, an electrical permit is required. It can be issued to a licensed electrical contractor or homeowner.



Ilene Stead

Phone: (517) 625-6155 Ext. 234 (Hearing Impaired may Dial 711)
Fax: (517) 625-6157

The Board of Review meets the Tuesday immediately following the first Monday in March to examine the Assessment Roll and meets with the public the second Monday in March for a 6-Hour session and the following day with at least one night session

Did You Know? – If you own and occupy your principal residence, it may be exempt from a portion of your local school operating taxes?

To claim an exemption, complete the Homeowners Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Affidavit and file it with you’re the City by June 1 or November 1 of the year of the claim.

City Maps

Frequently Asked Questions

When will my property be evaluated?

The taxable status of real and personal property for a tax year shall be determined as of each December 31 of the immediately preceding year, which is considered tax day. An assessing officer is not restricted to any particular period in the preparation of the assessment roll but may survey, examine, or review properties at any time prior to or after the tax day.

Why do assessed values change from year to year?

When market value changes, naturally so does assessed value. For instance, if you were to increase the total market value of a parcel of property by building a garage, the assessed value would increase proportionately. Similarly, should a property value be decreased because of a fire or other catastrophe, the assessed value would decrease to show the downward effect of the damage on the market value of the property.


The economy of the entire community affects assessed value. For example, over the years more property owners have rehabilitated or invested in new construction in and around the City of Perry; and all property values within the City have increased. This can easily be seen by looking at the asking prices of properties that are currently for sale on the open market and by finding out what properties have actually sold for within the City of Perry.


The Assessor has not created this value, he simply has the legal/responsibility to discover it as it exists and appraise property accordingly. People make value by their transactions in the market place.

What is the difference between an Assessment and Market Value?

An Assessment is 50 percent of the appraised value done by an appraiser using “mass appraisal methods,” and is limited by the current State Standards for Mass Appraisal and the amount of funding provided for government assessment work.


Market Value, determined by Fee Appraisals, is completed by using the most current sales to arrive at a “Current Market Value.” The intended purpose of this type of appraisal may require a much more detailed review of various elements of the appraisal process and methods and how those impact value.

Are Taxable Value and Assessed Value the same?

No. Taxable Value, once established, can only rise by the Consumer Price Index to a maximum of 5 percent per year.


Assessed Values for some neighborhoods may experience a greater gain than the CPI or 5 percent because they are 50 percent of the True Cash Value/Market Value.

If I do not like my Assessment what can I do?

Appeals can be started at the Assessment Office, then the Board of Review and finally with the Michigan Tax Tribunal. Proceeding in this order is critical for advancement to the next level, and in many cases the next level is more formal and further away.


Contact our office for more details.

What are Homestead Exemptions?

Homesteads are properties that serve as your principal home. They are not cottages, summer homes, etc. Homesteads are the property at which you reside and receive your mail, etc. for the majority of the year.


The State Education Tax is removed on these properties when you declare them to be your “Homestead” and therefore your property taxes are reduced. You may not have more than one “Homestead.”

When can I receive a Homestead Exemptions?

You must file the Homestead Form with the local Assessor and meet the “Own and Occupy by May 1st” standard test. If you do, the tax reduction will occur with the summer and winter billings in that year.

What if I didn't file? Can I file now?

Yes. Submit a completed form immediately. Some people may not qualify for the current year, but may in the next. Each case is reviewed individually and may have circumstances that allow for previous years to be corrected. Without an application no action is taken.

Can I take the house in town as my homestead and my wife take the cottage as hers?

No. This attempt to receive a dual benefit can result in full taxes being levied on both properties for all previous years, due and payable immediately, a severe penalty and shock to one’s budget.

We move to Florida in the winter; can I still have a Michigan Homestead Exemption?

Yes. However, if at some point you declare yourself a Florida resident and/or are spending more than 6 months there, then you may no longer qualify for the Michigan Exemption.

Planning Commission


General Information

Address: 203 W. Polly Street, Perry, MI 48872
Phone: (517) 625-6155 (Hearing Impaired may Dial 711)
Fax:(517) 625-6157

The City of Perry Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday of the month in Council Chambers at Perry City Hall.

**Schedule Change** The July Meeting will be held July 10th due to the holiday the first week of the month.

Master Plan

On June 17, 2013, the City of Perry Planning Commission approved adoption of the 2010-2040 Master Plan. The City Council formally adopted the Master Plan on June 18, 2013, at the scheduled meeting.

City of Perry Complete Master Plan

Residential Survey 1
Residential Survey 2
Residential Survey 3
Residential Survey 4
Residential Survey 5
Residential Survey 6
Residential Survey 7

This Master Plan provides a vision and guidelines for the City for the next 25-27 years. The community has identified many goals and objectives for this timeframe, some of which are for the near future (<5 years), and others which are larger-scale ideas for the more distant future. This Master Plan complies with the Michigan Planning Enabling Act (PA 33 of 2008), and provides as a reference for future funding resources.

If there are any questions regarding the information in this document, please feel free to contact us via City Hall. The Planning Commission always looks forward to your comments and feedback. The Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday of the month in Council Chambers at Perry City Hall.

Fire Department


Perry Area Fire Rescue

Address: 145 S. Main Street, P.O. Box 62, Perry, MI 48872
(517) 625-7611 (For Emergency Dial 911)
Fax: (517) 625-7614

For More Information about Perry Area Fire Rescue, log onto:

Chief Hubbard

Phone: (517) 625-7611
Cell: (517) 202-2820
Fax: (517) 625-7614

Chief Hubbard is a 1982 Graduate of Perry High School. He joined Perry Area Fire Rescue as a Firefighter in May 1989. During his tenure he served two years as Lieutenant, eight years as Battalion Chief, and was appointed Fire Chief in August 2001.

Chief Hubbard has also served as Shiawassee County Fire Training Coordinator since 1996, as well as serving as a member of the Shiawassee County Fire Chief’s Association. He is certified in numerous areas of Fire Service, including: Firefighter I & II; Fire Officer I, II, & III; Hazardous Materials Awareness; Hazardous Materials Operations; Hazardous Materials Tank Car; Vehicle Extrication; Advanced Vehicle Stabilization; Clandestine Drug Lab Awareness; DNR Wild land Fire fighting and Certified Medical First Responder.

Chief Hubbard has also been Certified as an Instructor by the Michigan Firefighters Training Council, for several areas, Including: Firefighter I & II; Fire Officer I & II; Vehicle Extrication; and Advanced Vehicle Stabilization.

City of Perry Representatives on the SSESA (Southwest Shiawassee Emergency Services Alliance) Board of Directors, include:
Tim DeLau (Board Chairperson)
Greg Wekwert (Alternate)
Bob Porter

Police Department


Welcome to the City of Perry Police Department

The Perry Police Department exists to preserve public safety and property through service and protection.
We accomplish this through adaptive patrol techniques, progressive training, teamwork, and most importantly,
a close relationship to the community of Perry.

For Emergencies Dial 911
203 W. Polly Street, Perry, MI 48872-9503
Non-Emergency Phone:
 (517) 625-3535
Fax: (517) 625-6157

Community Links

Save the date! This event is held annually the first Tuesday in August each year. 

Celebrated across the nation, National Night Out is an annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie to make our neighborhoods safer, more caring places to live.

“Leadership is a combination of strategy and character; if you must be without one, be without strategy.”
- General H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Chief of Police, Kyle Bawks

Phone: (517) 625-3535 Ext. 238
Fax: (517) 625-6157

After graduating Perry High School, Chief Bawks continued his education at Lansing Community College and Michigan State University. He started his law enforcement career after graduating from the Mid-Michigan Police Academy.  

In June of 2001 he was hired by the Perry Police Department and was later assigned to the Perry School District as the School Resource Officer for three years.   After that time, he and his K9 partner, Saint, became the first K9 team for the Perry Police Department, working together for almost 11 years.  

Chief Bawks is a firearms instructor for the department and is very involved in Shiawassee County as an instructor for Active Violence Incident (AVI) response for law enforcement, schools and churches.   He is an A.L.I.C.E instructor and also a Stop the Bleed instructor.    

Outside of work Chief Bawks enjoys all things that include his church, family and the outdoors, including hunting, cutting wood, camping, hiking and backpacking. He also is a huge fan of the Perry band program, track/field and football teams.   Go Ramblers!  

Sergeant, Michael Monroe

Sergeant Michael Monroe has been a member of the City of Perry Police Department for more than 15 years. He joined the department in 2005 and was promoted to sergeant in 2015. He completed his police training at the Flint Academy and has served in the City of Flint Police Department, Oakland County Sheriff’s Department and Genesee Township Police Department.

Sgt. Monroe is a certified welder and prior to a career in law enforcement, he worked building machinery for a tool and die shop in Grand Blanc. He also served with the United States Air Force Reserve from 1991 until he was honorably discharged in 1997.

In his time off from police work Sgt. Monroe is an avid outdoorsman, hunter and family man. He also owns a small business that specializes in tree removal and light tractor work in the Shiawassee County area.

Officer, Shawn Hanycz

Officer Hanycz has been a member of the Perry Police Department since February 2002. He completed his police training at Northern Michigan University where he studied Criminal Justice and received his Associates Degree.  Officer Hanycz continues to adapt to changes in his career through training and progressive courses.  He continues to be a positive role model at the schools and in the City of Perry.

When off duty, Officer Hanycz enjoys spending time outdoors, fishing, mountain biking and spending time with family.

Officer, Thomas Royal

Tom, a former U.S. Marine, became a member of the Perry Police Department in 2006 as a part time officer and was promoted to full-time in 2017. He is a graduate of Mott Community College and Michigan State University with degrees in Criminal Justice. He attended the Oakland Police Academy. He has worked in various areas of law enforcement over his vast career.

Officer Royal has additional duties for the Department as the Use of Force Instructor in Firearms, Taser and Pepper Spray. Also, he’s an instructor for Delta and Oakland Community Colleges teaching Instructor Firearms Courses for Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun. 

"Do all the good you can." - John Wesley

Department of Public Works


Table of Contents

DPW Mission

The Department of Public Works (DPW) are available to ensure services in the City are maintained at the level residents expect. The DPW’s #1 Priority is to “Serve the City of Perry” with a  dedicated working team. 

The DPW is on-call around the clock to maintain the infrastructure that supports the daily life of City residents. The water system, sewer system and streets in our community are managed with the highest consideration for quality, convenience and efficiency.

Phone: (517) 625-4500, 24-hours a day for emergencies.

The Department of Public Works is headquartered at the southwest end of Lamb Street immediately west of City Hall. DPW Staff is on duty 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, a staff member is always on call for emergencies.

Important Links
Yard Waste Disposal

Yard Waste, Leaves, Grass Clippings, Organic and Bio-Degradable Vegetation may be dropped off by City Residents in the appropriate designated area(s) at the DPW Lot.

Click here for Yard Waste Rules and Guidelines

Brush/Yard Waste Pick-Up Calendar
Snow Removal
Hydrant Flushing

Hydrant flushing is done on a routine basis, as determined by the DPW Superintendent. Whenever possible, hydrants are flushed as needed beginning in April and ending in October. Flushing is generally done over a 4-Day period.

When the Hydrants are being Flushed – USE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN DOING LAUNDRY!!

Wood Chips

The City maintains a Wood Chip Pile for residents use. Residents may load their own chips or DPW personnel will load the chips in a truck or trailer at a cost of $2 per (equipment) bucket. Hours to have wood chips loaded in your vehicle is 3 to 3:15 p.m. Please contact the DPW 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. to arrange an appointment.

Water System

The City of Perry Water System has a 200,000-gallon storage tank and an average daily flow of about 160,000-gallons which increases during warmer weather. The water system is monitored daily to assure the highest quality of water possible, and to meet standards set by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Meter Reading has been updated with time-saving devices added to all water meters. This device (transponder) allows the meter to be read from the road via radio transmission to a handheld computer. This process has allowed staff to dedicate more time on regular maintenance and less time walking door-to-door to read meters.

Sewer System

The City of Perry Sewer System, maintained by the DPW, is comprised of seven pump stations located throughout the city, which requires constant monitoring and maintenance to assure continuous 24-7 operation. The DPW staff also maintains a Lagoon system on Bath Road near the railroad tracks, which also requires constant maintenance to assure proper operation. In early Spring, when the ice melts, the warmer water rises to the top of the pond. Because this is a natural process, there usually is an odor emitted. This is called the ‘rollover,’ and should only last a few days. Necessary steps are always taken to assure this process occurs quickly so the odor problem is present for the shortest time possible.



Meggen Galbreath

Phone: (517) 625-6155 Ext. 225
Fax: (517) 625-6157

Tax Payment Information

Summer tax payments are due no later than close of business September 30. After September 30, 1% interest is applied to any outstanding balance.

Winter tax payments are due no later than close of business February 14. After February 14, a 3% penalty will be applied to all unpaid balances.

As of March 1 all real property taxes, interest and penalties are due to the Shiawassee County Treasurer and cannot be paid to, or accepted by, the City of Perry.

Payments can be made online, in person, over the phone, or via mail. All credit card payments are subject to a 3% processing fee, the minimum fee charged is $2.

Payments must be received at city hall on or before the due date. Postmarks not accepted.

Your Property Tax Dollars at Work

Your City of Perry summer and winter tax bills each include line items for services provided by the city, the local school district, and various Shiawassee County wide services.  Based on 2021 homestead millage rates, for every $100 of taxes paid annually the graphic below shows how your tax dollars are disbursed. Values are rounded to the nearest dollar.

*Other County Services includes millage rates for MSU Extension, Senior Services, Shiawassee Medical Care Facility, Shiawassee Regional Education School District (SRESD/SP-ED) (2), and Veteran Services (2).

**Other Local Services includes millage rates for the Community District Library, the Shiawassee Area Transportation Agency (SATA) and the Southwest Shiawassee Emergency Services Alliance (SSESA).

Dog Licenses

Effective Dec. 1, 2023 Dog licenses are no longer available at City Hall and must be purchased at the Shiawassee County Treasurer’s office in Corunna. Proof of vaccination and gender alteration is required to purchase license(s).

License(s) must be purchased on or before March 1 of each year for:

• All dogs four months of age or older
• Within 30 Days of obtaining a dog
• Within 30 Days of moving into Shiawassee County

Financial Transparency

Tax Parcel Map (April 2013 - Updated 2020)

City Clerk


Shirley Smith

Address: 203 W. Polly Street, Perry, MI 48872
Phone: (517) 625-6155 Ext. 224 (Hearing Impaired may Dial 711)
Fax: (517) 625-6157

COUNCIL MEETINGS are held the FIRST and THIRD THURSDAY of each MONTH at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers.

The City is comprised of several boards and committees. Compensation is available while serving on some of these boards. For more details, contact the Clerk’s office. Mayor for the City of Perry appoints all vacant board and committee seats.

Welcome to the City Clerk's Office

Table of Contents

The City Clerk’s Office is the first point of contact for the public that handles many different matters. Clerk’s Office receives all payments for City Services and provide a necessary link between the Legislative and Administrative functions of the City of Perry. Customers may contact the Clerk’s Office to obtain general information; voter’s registration; notary service; FOIA requests; inquire on how to apply for building/zoning/water/sewer permits; business registration ;and hall rental.

Our Mission
The City Clerk’s Office is committed to maintaining the integrity of City Government in the City of Perry by ensuring citizens are informed through open and accessible meetings; by keeping accurate recordings of the City Council proceedings; by protecting and preserving City documents and records; by conducting fair and democratic elections; and by providing excellent service to the public.

Meeting Minutes


Business Registration

Election Information

Next Election
February 27, 2024: State-administered presidential preference primary
August 6, 2024: Primary
November 5, 2024: General election

Notice of Early Voting Precinct and Hours

Click the link below to get the 2022 Election Results

Shiawassee County Election Results

Election Commission Minutes

Voter Registration

Absentee Ballot Application

Want to Work an Election?

Apply Now (Once application is completed, return to City Clerks office.)
To read the duties of an Election Inspector click on Job Description

Quick Resource Links